[Foundation-l] Wiki Activism (Project Proposal)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 20 00:19:02 UTC 2006

Nicholas Barry wrote:

>WikiActivism is a project for past and present social movements such as the Civil Rights movement, Animal Rights movement, and the blooming Immigrant Rights movement. The meat and potatoes of the project will be a page for each separate movement. The majority of pages (great in number, though less important than the main page for each movement) will list evidence used by or against each movement, organizations associated with each movement, and other such items. (Most links on each page will probably go to Wikipedia for explanation of various terms and issues.)

The strongest argument against having this as a Wikimedia project is
that it would be necessarily supporting points of view.  Perhaps
Wikicities would be a better place for this.

I do think that the underlying concept is interesting in terms of
opening up how we can do politics politics differently.  I even
suggested after France and Holland voted down the European Constitution
that a wiki would be an excellent medium for writing a People's European
Constitution.  But even if you would limit your efforts the movements
that you enumerate each could give rise to whole project in itself.  The
blooming immigrants in the United States are currently a very hot topic.

Doing politics differently requires an ability to look over the curve of
the horizon, and to synthesize a consensus.  I don't know that your
proposal can accomplish this, but good luck!

Ec