[Foundation-l] Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate)

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri May 19 11:34:20 UTC 2006

On 5/18/06, Elisabeth Bauer <elian at djini.de> wrote:
> If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
> need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
> though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
> they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.

That brings up another question I had.  If the designer creates the
layout for free, would it be a work for hire, with the copyright owned
by the Foundation, or would the designer retain all control over it?
Reading over the public discussions by the designers on this matter it
seems like they're not going to be willing to do the work for nothing,
even if they do it for zero monetary compensation.

Also, would any of this change if the design was paid for?  Even if
the Foundation doesn't want to spend money on something like designing
the website, perhaps because it's questionable whether website design
is the most effective way to spend money achieving its goals, it would
always be possible to set up a separate fund from separate donations
to pay for it.

Anthony