[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat May 6 23:27:06 UTC 2006

On 05/05/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> A summary of what happened is nice. It is not what I am really
> interested in. What I am interested in is having things announced before
> they happen. This will have, as an effect, that people do not have the
> excuse that they did not know. They will have less reason to moan (they
> will anyway). When you say nobody told us, you mean nobody told you.
> Fine. This has been discussed at previous occasions when we had a flash
> in the commons pan.

Sorry, Commons people are not mind-readers. If you wanted Commons to
make announcements on any mailing list you should have told us. I will
consider this our first instance of being "informed".

It will be a very long time between announcements at any rate. What
have we implemented so far that should have been announced? If you are
again referring to the PNG deletion thing, how many times can I say
that we never had an official policy supporting that? So we would
never have announced anything there anyway. It is wrong to assume that
behind every action of every Commons admin lies a policy. This is not
true on any project, even en.wp. And as Arnomane said, we try to
minimise our official policies (if only to minimise the amount of
translation required).

Brianna