[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

Paweł Dembowski fallout at lexx.eu.org
Thu May 4 14:19:47 UTC 2006

GerardM napisału:

> Hoi,
> This seems to be yet another fine mess that the Commons crowd is
> getting itself into. The question is when will they learn that they
> are serving the other projects and that their good intentions have
> resulted in projects NOT adopting Commons because of the fiendly
> cooperation as it is perceived.

> What do they think they achieve by doing this? Is this in the interest
> of the projects? Is this the considered opinion of the Commons
> community or is it a solitary excercise? It is indeed a great way of
> creating more hostility.

> Thanks,
>     GerardM

It was a solitary decision by Arnomane. He does raise a good point -
"it does harm severely the up to date localised pages if you need to
search them between lots of other links, others are still accessible
directly" - there is a link to "other languages" at the end of the
language list, so nothing is lost, really, just made less prominent,
although I think that making the links to more up-to-date languages bigger
and the other ones smaller would probably be a better idea.

--
Ausir
Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia