[Foundation-l] Free advertising on Wikipedia

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue May 2 14:23:57 UTC 2006

Andre Engels wrote:

> I think that the solution should be to remove many more links than are
> done now. When I read that Gregory Maxwell removed 45 links from a
> page and kept another 45, in my opinion he has been rather reserved -
> rare is in my opinion the page that needs more than 3 links. Wikipedia
> is not a link collector.

Maybe not, but one of our Prime Directives is "cite your source". This often
requires multiple external links because there are multiple sources.

One hopes that you would class this type of link as "necessary" but there
seem to be people to whom this kind of thing is like a red rag to a bull and
would set upon a radical link-ectomy without bothering to consider whether
there is any conflicting policy.

Indeed a small minority of them might even consider rewriting policy to
imply that they were correct all along.
--
Phil
becoming more cynical, which is a shame...