[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue May 2 14:10:46 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/5/1, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
>
> > We recognize that the inclusion of this content is a violation of the
> > other half the goal of the project. As a result it is only permitted
> > to include fair use in English wikipedia where doing so compromises
> > our ability to be a quality encyclopedia.
>
> Yet when Wikisource wants to include ND to avoid compromising their
> ability to be a source of original texts, you do not want to allow
> them to do so? Also, does this statement mean that you are of the
> opinion that the German Wikipedia, which does not allow fair use in
> any form whatsoever, is not a quality encyclopedia?

I think there's a big difference here between (most) images and (most)
text.  As Erik pointed out, for instance, a document which cannot
legally be translated is not a free document.  But translation doesn't
apply to most images.  The same applies, although to a lesser extent,
for short quotes, which is the other place fair use is generally used.

FWIW, I think the English Wikipedia should allow ND images as much as
it should allow "fair use images".  That is, much less than fair use
is currently used, but still sometimes, when there is no other choice.

Anthony