[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue May 2 11:33:03 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> > Content which forbids derivied works is not anymore free content than
> > content you can use but not distribute.  Both are without cost, both
> > deny you what would be considered natural rights without copyright,
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation maintains archives of its own mailing
> lists, for example this one.  Is that free contents?  Should I be
> allowed to modify and distribute the record of what you said?

I certainly don't consider my mailing list posts to be free content.
I've given permission for Wikimedia to distribute copies via email to
everyone on the list.  That's it.  Any other use is not permitted via
license, though it might fall under fair use or some other exception
to copyright law.

Anthony