[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue May 2 08:51:09 UTC 2006

Birgitte SB wrote:

> The works I see us dealing with here are religous
> works, goverment works, and manifestos of political
> groups etc.  These sorts of works forbid modifiction
> because the authors do not want to be misrepresented
> not because they want to profit from the work.  This

The Creative Commons has licenses that require attribution (-BY)
and those that don't require attribution.  But I don't think they
have one that forbids attribution.  It seems appropriate to link
attribution to derivate works in a non-misrepresentation (NM)
license clause, that would allow greater freedom than today's ND.
Have they tried anything like that?

For whole recorded songs or films, the CC Sampling license strikes
a similar balance between the CC-SA freedom to reuse in parts and
the CC-NC prohibition of wholesale commercial copying,
http://creativecommons.org/license/sampling

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)