[Foundation-l] Free advertising on Wikipedia

! Chris Sherlock ta.bu.shi.da.yu at gmail.com
Mon May 1 15:37:51 UTC 2006

> Eric wrote:
> > How does turning on nofollow punish anyone?  Nobody is entitled to
> > free pagerank just because they've been listed on Wikipedia.
>
> I see two possibilities:
>
> 1) Wikipedia specifically has a very high influence on a site's
> ranking. In this case, turning off nofollow will alter the shape of
> the web in search engines which respect it. If the average quality of
> links in Wikipedia is higher than the average quality of links outside
> Wikipedia, the quality of these search engine results as a whole will
> deteriorate. This is not about entitlement, it is about using the
> influence we have responsibly.
>
> OR
>
> 2) Due to mirrors, enabling or disabling nofollow has hardly any
> visible effect on search engine rankings. In that case, it would be a
> placebo effect.
>
> As I said, I think timing the addition of external links and enabling
> nofollow only for recent additions might be a reasonable compromise.
>
> Erik

I think we need to start asking another question, and not from Wikipedia or
any Wikimedia project. My question is: *why* is Google making mirrored
content from Wikipedia appear so high up in their search results? Surely
that is killing off the effectiveness of their own search tool? I have
always wondered why critics blame us for this, when we are only giving away
free information.

Surely with Google's super smart workforce they would have worked out how to
exclude or give less weight to Wikipedia mirrors by now?

Chris