[Foundation-l] Free advertising on Wikipedia

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Mon May 1 13:49:11 UTC 2006

*Most* sites don't permit drive-by addition of external links; our
projects are different because we are open and, as such, we need to be
more considerate of the general browsing public out there (imho) and
nofollow would be a great assist to that. If we 'patrolled' the external
links which we permitted to be active rather than passive there might be a
different solution, but we can't (the workload would be enormous plus
carrier liablity issues) and shouldn't.

On Mon, May 1, 2006 13:23, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Also note that Wikipedia is different from most blogs and even wikis
> in that it's replicated across the web. Most of these mirrors aren't
> likely to turn on nofollow anytime soon.

But isn't that a "they did it so I will" argument that we all rv over the
whole of WP already? If we are serious about sorting some of our problems
- and over-use of external links is but one of those - then we need to
start somewhere and put downa marker that we are dealing with the issue.
We ahve to start somewhere ...

Alison