[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue May 30 14:22:05 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> By the way, a citation published on a french site recently (an interview
> from Jimbo).
>
> Jimbo says
>
> "... nous souhaitons générer une version
> « stable » des articles, vérifiée et approuvée par des experts sur le
> sujet, tout en maintenant la possibilité de le modifier. Il est hors de
> question de demander aux bénévoles de faire le plus gros du travail, et
> de  demander à un expert de peaufiner le rest."
>
> Translation
>
> "We wish to create a stable version of all articles, checked and
> approved by experts on the topic, whilst keeping the option of
> modification of the article. It is excluded to ask volunteers to do most
> of the bulk work, and to ask to an expert to just take care of the
> polishing".

"We wish to create a stable version of all articles, checked and
approved by the community, using a process which meets or exceeds the
quality level of traditional encyclopedias.  Such a process should
involve people with expertise, of course, but it would not be acceptable
for us to take the attitude that "ah, thank you to the volunteers, but
now we have experts to come in and finish the job".  Rather, we seek to
extend our community process in new ways over time, always remaining
open to new ideas for higher quality."

--Jimbo