[Foundation-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 30 21:48:39 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>By "issues on meta had nothing to do with the Foundation", I mean that
>meta goes much beyond Foundation issues. It includes Foundation issues,
>it includes community issues, it includes technical issues. That's a
>melting pot.

You're probably right to say that meta is all of the above, but the fact
that the Foundation is a significant element of meta implies that
Foundation policy issues that are included there *must* be clearly
identified.

My earliest impressions of Meta was that it was a convenient place for
POV rants that were not suitable for the NPOV environment of Wikipedia.
It has taken on additional roles since then including all those that you
have listed, and probably a few others.  Votes happen there which some
interpret as having a broad application to all projects, while others,
who do not maintain a constant watch on Meta's activities, are surprised
when something that may have been thoroughly discussed on Meta appears
as decided policy on a specific project where the matter was never
discussed at all.

Individual projects have enough difficulty with creeping policy
obsession in their own right.  Someone proposes a policy which cannot be
deleted without a serious breach of Wikiquette; everyone who has better
things to do than wrangle over policy promptly ignores it; several
months later someone attempts to enforce it on the presumption that it
must be valid policy since no-one opposed it.  Familiar?

Wikimedia is big, very big, maybe even too big.  That makes the process
of open communications more important than ever.  It also means that we
are in desparate need of clarification of Meta's role.

If committees are seen as participants in secret backroom deals
credibility suffers.  There may be quite valid and legal reasons for
maintaining the confidentiality of arrangements with outsiders.  When
that happens we need to examine whether the deal or the community is
more important.  When the inertial impulse toward unchecked growth comes
into conflict with the ethics of openness there are some fundamental
concepts that need to be re-examined.

Ec