[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Mar 29 17:58:57 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>This strikes me as somewhat irresponsible.  Some GEDCOM files are huge.
>Are you suggesting that we just accept them as valid without any
>standards for verifiability?  We also need to address the privacy
>issues.  The copyright question may turn out to be a less critical problem.
>
>Ec

The best privacy policy I've seen regarding geneological information is
to not list anybody who is currently alive, or in other words does not
have a listed death date and is less than 110 years old, under the
assumption that people over 110 years of age are so unusual that they
deserve special mention anyway, or can be generally assumed to be dead.
 I think it might be safer for 120 years instead, but that is a fine
point to quibble here.

Some exceptions might happen for very famous people, but that is
certainly something to express concern over.  It is also something that
can be automated directly in the software if a policy is set up, where
the information can be added but not displayed if it fails the living
person criteria.

A good point to raise, however.

--
Robert Scott Horning