[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Mar 27 14:03:19 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>

>>All of these are aspects that are derived from Wikimedia users'
>>experience with developing other on-line content.  The current internal
>>push for this sort of development is where users like myself have been
>>so used to how things are done with Wiki software that we wonder why
>>this isn't be done for geneological research, where these ideas of free
>>access to information and the ability to freely edit the information
>>havn't yet caught on.
>>

>Being able to freely edit is an important feature, but that opens up a
>wide range of other problems like our policies on original research.
>
>Ec

I think in this situation the term "original research" is not really
applicable.  By definition all geneological research is all secondary
research in terms of relying on other original source material to prove
if a particular fact is true or not.  The closest that anybody is going
to get to a traditional definition of original research with a project
of this nature is going to be those who seek oral histories for groups
of people who traditionally did not keep written records.  I have a
brother-in-law with Ga ancestry (one of the tribal groups in Ghana)
where this is the only source of that sort of knowledge.  This is an
area of human knowledge, BTW, that is as fragile as linguistic
preservation efforts, and a key part of the transmission of human culture.

I think this can be kept in check considerably with this sort of
proposal for a geneoligical project, where research projects that have
absolutely nothing to do with geneology would be prohibited.  Another
point to make is perhaps the prohibition of fictional geneologies, such
as the geneology of the Baggins Family from the works of J.R.R. Tolkein.
 Even the use of ancient ancestral records such as those from classical
religious texts like the Bible might be at least a point of discussion
among participants.  I think this is going to be the grey area that
would have to be in check, not the prohibition on original research to
keep publication of crackpot ideas off of Wikipedia.  That is the main
purpose of the no original research policy anyway... to politely tell
people with these wild theories that Wikipedia is not a forum for
primary publication of these concepts.  A UFO researcher adding
genological information about the ancestral history of "the greys" would
be justifiably laughed off any serious geneological forum.

--
Robert Scott Horning