[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 12:09:35 UTC 2006

Aphaia wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/26/06, Benjamin Webb <bjwebb67 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Even though your e-mail could be seen as critisising me, I greatly
>>> appreciate it. Any feedback at all is useful for me. You mentioned having an
>>> opinion poll. Could I start that now? The proposal has been on meta for a
>>> week.
>>>
>> The policy for new projects states that projects must be discussed for
>> "at least a month" before a poll is taken:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_project_policy
>>

> Also, I would like to add such poll concerning with the Foundation
> level should be grobal, hence multilingual.
>
> With exceptions like Wikimedia Commons which is needed to be kept as
> unscattered, I have no reason to support any monolingual project as
> Wikimedia ones, specially after haven seen Wikispecies and its two
> years inactivity. Currently, I have found only English speakers showed
> interest to the suggestion and it brought me if our grobal community
> has interested in the idea now discussed.
>
> --
> Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
> email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com
Hoi,
When it comes to multilingual projects, it is relevant to mention that
development on Multilingual MediaWiki has started (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki ). Your suggestion
that Commons should stay a monolingual project is something that I have
problems with. Currently it is only useful for people who speak English.
When you are looking for pictures of animals or plants you have to know
your Latin. :(

As to Wikispecies, it is a great idea that came before its time. Its
time will come I am sure. :)

When Multilingual MediaWiki is "Brion ready, accepted and merged", it
will be possible to have a genealogy project where more parts of the
user interface can be localised. One of the fun aspects of genealogy is
that you will find what parts of a family comes from what parts of the
globe; it is therefore important to have a user interface that allows
for people from all over the globe to collaborate. :)

Thanks,
     GerardM