[Foundation-l] Foundation project taglines

- Essjay - essjaywiki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 18:42:41 UTC 2006

It seems to me that there is a basic question that needs to be answered: Who
picks the slogan?

If the answer is "The Board" (or more generally, the Foundation, such that
it could be delegated to one of the committees), then the Board or other
appropriate foundation source needs to say "the official slogan is...", and
the projects need to understand that they don't have the opportunity to
change it. Some things are changeable, like the colors on the mainpage,
others are not, particularly those that are integral to our public image,
like the logo and the slogans.

If the answer is "The Community", first, the follow up, "Which community?".
If it is the case that each project community picks it's own slogan, then
that needs to be enforced. (That is, if Wikisource is responsible for
picking the Wikisource slogan, then whatever they pick needs to be
enforced.) If every project is allowed to pick whatever slogans it likes to
use for the other projects, then I'm changing the main page of Wikiquote to
reference Wikipedia as "the open-content, editable encyclopedia that gets
vandalized a lot" and blocking any Wikipedia editor who disagrees.
</WP:POINT>

Common sense says that a slogan is something that must be consistent; we
need a firm ruling from somewhere on high that this is either something to
be decided by the Board/Committees, and if so, what their decision is, or
something to be decided by the individual project, with an accompanying
order to use the slogan Wikisource has adopted for itself.

What we cannot have is every project using a different slogan for the other
projects, or edit wars/wheel wars over which should be which. A round of
applause to Birgitte for refusing to let it become an edit war (both by
refusing to engage in it herself, and for encouraging others from Wikisource
to let the Foundation decide).

Essjay