[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C sdnyroc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 19:33:40 UTC 2006

thank you for your blessing and especially important the clarification
from a non-chinese who understand 漢字/hanzi/kanji/hanja/hántự (the
characters used in these languages). i appreciate it very much!

as for the conference, i am very confident that it will be conducted
in a chinese language (probably mandarin), although interpreting
services may be offered if needed and able. it is also clear that the
scope of the conference is limited to discussions on chinese projects
of wikimedia (no politics, no projects specific to other languages).

as for attendees from non-chinese speaking population or those living
outside of chinese areas, i have talked to the organizers of the
chinese conference and we have the same position:

1) people will not be turned away at the door (exept if deemed
disruptive or dangerous), however, the working language and the scope
of conference is emphasised, and we encourage people to explore and
attend the wikimania in boston, which is probably more suitble,
helpful, educational, stimulating, entertaining, etc, for general
wikmedia contributors/researchers.

2) people who are interested in chinese projects of wikimedia should
be all welcome to attend, whether he/she is a contributor or not of
chinese (or any) projects of wikimedia. the goal is to help chinese
projects of wikimedia to grow better, keep healthy, reach more, and so
on.

please accept my personal gratitudes for all those who are helpful and
respectful to our efforts.

roc