[Foundation-l] Fair use images

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Mar 10 13:04:27 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Paweł Dembowski <fallout at lexx.eu.org> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> > It is likely that in the case of 'fair use' the content would remain
> > fair use for a large majority of the downstream uses for content on
> > Wikipedia.
>
> Actually, most of the content is "fair use" only to United States
> users.

It's worse than that, it's only "fair use" for use within the United
States.  Which means if an American wants to distribute a copy of
Wikipedia to someone in Africa, they have to break the law.

And I'd dispute that fair use by Wikipedia means fair use by a large
majority of the downstream users.  Wikipedia can and will get away
with a lot of things that others can't and won't.

Anthony