[Foundation-l] Fair use images

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Mar 10 00:03:31 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, ! Chris Sherlock <ta.bu.shi.da.yu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Short and sweet: we have too many of them, most of them aren't being used as
> "fair use" images, many don't have sources, almost none have fair use
> criteria, and more than a few are being used in articles that have no real
> need for them.
>
> May I suggest that we start taking action on this issue? IMO they are a
> ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Not only that, but they are diluting
> the "freeness" of the project and causing problems for those who want to use
> our material unaltered.
>
> TBSDY

Absolutely.  Fair use should be abandoned in favor of allowing
CC-BY-ND.  I just found out that CC-BY-ND allows "the right to make
such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights
in other media and formats", so use of such a license is much better
than relying on fair use.

The main advantages are 1) no more gray-areas; either the image is
CC-BY-ND, or it isn't; 2) full use by commercial entities, in print
versions, etc.; 3) use by anyone in the world, not just in the United
States.

Of course the major disadvantage is that people have to be convinced
to release their image under the license.  But right now it's not even
an option.

Anthony