[Foundation-l] on (re)organizing wikimedia

Erik van den Muijzenberg muijz at wikipedia.be
Sat Jun 10 06:55:23 UTC 2006

On 10-jun-2006, at 2:44, oscar wrote:

> 3. the task of an appointed board should be supervising the work of
> the
> executives, it should be a type of board consisting of very
> professional
> people (the kind which in a way of speaking should have "better
> things to
> do", if you get my meaning)

I'm sorry, but I don't.

Plus I don't understand why "this whole organization, its projects
and mission, its vitality and appeal", would collapse if the
separation "between volunteer-work, executive tasks and their
respective supervision" would not be implemented as strict as you
would like it to be.

> , and in general not deal with the projects at
> all.
> 4. the council of representatives should supervise the projects,
> advise the
> executive level, and in general not deal with the board at all.

Again I don't understand why such a strict separation should be
necessary.

> i could be more elaborate in explaining the rationale behind these
> thoughts,

I think that would be a good idea.

So far all you have come up with was "I want a strict separation".
You can't convince people if you don't make clear why such a strict
separation should be necessary in the first place.

> but i chose to keep things concise. note however, that i spoke of how
> specific tasks, responsibilities and work can be organized,

You mean *should* be organized, in order to prevent a total collapse,
right?
("the only way this organization (...) will survive").

IMHO rather strong words and little explanation, Oscar.

Erik vdMb aka Muijz