[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 11:27:31 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>Erik Moeller wrote:
> >
> > GerardM, who has a more impressive track record in special projects
> > than I do -- there would be no Kennisnet partnership and no
> > WiktionaryZ project without him, applied for membership and was
> > rejected. Frankly, this is not an example of an open organization that
> > accepts the most qualified people to do the right thing. It's an
> > example of "face by face" selection processes. No amount of rhetoric
> > is going to change that.
> >

> Hoi,
> The fact that I am not in the Special Projects committee is in a way a
> mixed blessing. It is a blessing in that it gives me more time to
> nurture the WiktionaryZ project, develop related ideas and make
> connections with people and organisations that share similar goals.
>
> It is sad because it means that I have less opportunity to make the
> WMF aware of what is happening with the WiktionaryZ project. I am
> grateful for the core people in WiktionaryZ, they make it possible to
> make it a true community project. We started with a commission and it
> would be easy to extend this with many people who have proven to be as
> worthwhile as its original members.
>
> My interest in the Special Projects committee is that I am interested
> in ensuring that the projects that are dear to my heart get the
> attention and integration that they require. I am interested in all
> the wikimedia projects, it is however obvious that my work is focused
> on the projects that are most dear to my heart, I can appreciate why
> people would not like to have me in the special projects committee
> because they are different from what is considered the mainstream.
>
> Then again, given that the Wikidata technology may have a great impact
> on Wikipedia, beneficial in my honest opinion, and given that the
> members of the Special Projects committee are pressed for time, it may
> be clear why I wanted to be in there in the first place.
>
> All in all, there are arguments why I am not in there. Given that
> people are chosen by the existing committee members, it does not help
> argueing publicly about why someone is or is not in a committee. The
> one thing I am interested in is cooperation. You do not achieve it by
> being resentful.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

Thanks very much for this, Gerard. I had drafted a response to this
very point, but felt it was unfair on you to send it (ie. to be drawn
into a discussion about why we rejected your application).

You are doing great work on your projects, WiktionaryZ and
InstantCommons, which the SPC is working with you on. I hope we're
doing all we can to help them progress - but I don't agree that we
would be working on them any better if you were on the committee.
Really, all community projects are worked on outside the committee -
the SP committee simply evaluates them and, if approved, facilitates
whatever needs to be done in realising them. That's what the committee
exists for - simply to relieve the board of this responsibility
(amongst other things).

All the best (and thanks again),

Cormac