[Foundation-l] Open source CRM needed for Wikimedia

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Jun 26 04:28:33 UTC 2006

Nathan Carter wrote:
> The fact of the matter is what is the foundation's procurement policy?
> IMHO WMF should look at open-source stuff first but if it is not
> suitable then look at proprietary stuff.
> Did you look at sourceforge? I am sure there is some CRM software there.

Such as: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sugarcrm ?

For this conversation to progress usefully, we need to know the answer to this
question:

What does the proprietary version of SugarCRM Professional support that:
a) the open-source version does not
*and*
b) we actually need
?

If there's something specific, we might have a hope of actually comparing
alternatives. As it is, we've got an experimental internal installation of the
*open-source* SugarCRM for those who would be using it to figure out whether
they can make it do what they need.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)