[Foundation-l] Outsiders on the Board? (was Re: Poll for Wikistandards)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jan 30 00:46:16 UTC 2006

Robert Scott Horning wrote:
> An example of this is with the American Red Cross, where they have
> largely volunteers that run almost every aspect of their organization.

http://www.redcross.org/static/file_cont4989_lang0_1762.pdf

I agree that the Red Cross is one example (but only one, and not
necessarily the best one) of an overwhelmingly volunteer organization.
I think it is very instructive to look at their board of directors,
which consists overwhelmingly of people with decades of experience
managing large organizations and providing strategic guidance to them.