[Foundation-l] Outsiders on the Board? (was Re: Poll for Wikistandards)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Jan 29 19:11:32 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>Actually, as Wikipedia grows it requires help in oversight no less than it
>does in operations. A large organization entails legal and  financial
>responsibilities. If we are sued, for whatever reason, we cannot  simply throw another
>server at the person suing us.

The problem is that nobody outside the community has the moral authority
to provide such oversight.  Technical oversight and advice, sure---few
people have issues with contracting outside lawyers where necessary to
provide legal advice, and I doubt there would be too many objections to
obtaining assistance with accounting, grantwriting, or anything else of
that sort.  Strategic direction and decision-making though, of the sort
that the board has the authority to make, cannot be put in the hands of
non-Wikimedians.

-Mark