[Foundation-l] Re: Stewards policy proposal

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 19:48:15 UTC 2006

Mihai Floran wrote:
> As the stewards community got larger and not so many things to do right now

I like that statement very much :-)

I think we should have a larger policy about stewards, their status and
functions.

> First of all I think that if we want to have neutral stewards they should not be members of staff in local projects (sysop, bureaucrat) because this can influence their decision.

When first stewards were elected, there was a lengthy discussion about
that and there was a conclusion : a steward should avoid as much as
possible being the one who *desysop* people on his project. For example,
Maverick was asked not to desysop editors on the english wikipedia.

I think current stewards would do well to avoid doing any action when
they are in one way or another involved. And yes, recently, it happened.

> The current stewards should have a period to think about the issue and consider if they want to leave their local status or the steward status.

I do not support that proposal :-)
Being a steward on meta, and a sysop on one's local project are two
different issues.

> Another urgent issue is checkuser policy regarding stewards. We don't have one and I think is immediatly subject.

Absolutely agree with you. *this* is an issue.

> Any other ideas?

Yes

<subliminal message>

Local bureaucrats should be the ones to give bot status on local
projects. It makes little sense that stewards do it.

</end of subliminal message>

:-)