[Foundation-l] Re: Poll for Wikistandards

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Jan 27 14:04:53 UTC 2006

Kernigh wrote:

>>fyi, i have started a poll concerning '''wikistandards''' at
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_for_standards#Poll
>>

>Because [[Wiki for standards]] and [[Wiki for standards/Vote]] are not
>linked from anywhere else in Meta (in fact, I only know about them from
>reading foundation-l), I have posted a comment to the vote page:
>
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_for_standards/Vote#comments
>
>-- [[Wikibooks:en:User:Kernigh]]

I would like to point out that while the vote page seems to be
structurally sound, take a look at the history page and you will see
that almost none of the people listed on the supporting side have
actually cast their votes.  This is merely somebody who has gone through
the effort to consolodate a list of general supporters of the concept.
 This is not that they are sock puppets, but that they havn't really
been given the opportunity to really review the proposal.

It would also be useful to try and advertise this interest survey onto
the other sister projects as well.

I know that the people involved with this want to see it become reality
and in general I support their efforts.  I think this would be an
excellent candidate for the seed wiki (or whatever name that goes under)
to try and see what the group of supporters could come up with.  The
content that they are trying to develop doesn't really fit on any of the
current Wikimedia projects, including Wikibooks, which is the most
likely candidate for hosting content of this nature.

I wish that before this vote began, that a little more discussion took
place to try and develop this concept, as well as try to make it a
broader proposal than just a language standard Wiki.  Yes, there were
some comments here on this mailing list, some discussion at the
conference mentioned in the proposal, and some private e-mails on the
topic, but this page that is discussing the project proposal was only
linked to the New Project page yesterday.  I hardly call 1 day of wide
discussion enough to come to a community concensus by even supporters of
the project, much less trying to turn the idea into a polished proposal.
 Seeing what the Wikiversity supporters are going through right now in
developing their revised proposal, I don't see anywhere near that
quality of work going into this proposal.

--
Robert Scott Horning