[Foundation-l] New Wikimedia Committees

Jake Nelson duskwave at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:06:48 UTC 2006

Angela wrote:
> Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how Executive Committees
> in other non-profit organizations are organized? Is there any benefit
> of one approach over the other?

I've been a member of a number of organizations, 501(c)3, 501(c)4, 527,
charitable, educational, political, etc. Most of them had a three-tier
command structure:

Board/Executive Officers - a fairly small number (4-12) of people, each
with a defined role in the organization, have authority to act in the
scope of their role and as authorized by the broader org (see EC and CC
below), little role as a group beyond their individual jobs and often
some charter requirements. Tend to stay in frequent contact and take on
a lot of urgent things that can't be dealt with in committee in time.

Executive Committee - consists of the Executive Officers plus a number
of directors, representatives of different subunits within the
organization, the means of selection varies depending on the nature of
the organization and its relative orientation (top-down or bottom-up;
whether the org is a project of the Board and the rest of the org
members are just those they've enlisted to help them in it or whether
it's an association of people with a specific cause/interest/goal and
the officers are chosen by the body of those to represent them). The EC
can set rules, change policy, etc. Often the EC and the Board become
conflated in people's minds, and often they're effectively the same
entity, but the Board is the body with actual power under the rules and
bylaws.

Central Committee - A much larger body of org members, nearly always a
superset of the EC. In small organizations, this may consist of all
members; in larger organizations it consists of elected representatives.
It's not unusual for a CC to be a hundred people; in very large orgs
with a lot of subunits, this may be several hundred. Its power varies
greatly depending on how the body is organized. In some, the CC has no
actual power and serves largely as a discussion place and sounding board
for the EC, being informed as to the EC's activities and then being the
ones, in turn, to share it with non-committee membership. (This is most
common in top-down orgs.) In others, the CC has the full power of the
organization and sets bylaws, elects EC members, and the EC can't do
anything outside is granted authority without recieving authorization
from the CC.

It's not unusual for an org to require all financial expenditures be
authorized (not necessarily approved individually) by the CC.

Going back to your mail, now that I've drifted greatly... I've never
seen an org with a smaller EC than Board. I know they exist, I just
haven't been involved with any. One I can think of had a 30-person
Board... when they decided to found an EC, they cut the Board down to 8
members and made the EC 40 members. The EC had most of the authority the
Board had had previously; in effect, you could say that the Board
expanded slightly and was renamed the EC, with a new Board being made of
only the highest-ranking members (in this case, chair, vice chair,
finance director, executive director, communications director, research
director, personnel director, properties director).

That probably wasn't too clear, but maybe it's helpful.

-- Jake Nelson