[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright of Vatican stuff

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 25 21:57:40 UTC 2006

First of all: Thank you Anthere for having copied the mail to me
privately - when I have plenty of work, the lists I receive sometimes
are not read.

What Ilario writes is right considering the Italian link he gave - there
is nothing that states "retroactive". And then thre's the link from
Anthere of the Times ... and that seems to be retroactive, but I suppose
they cannot apply it to pubblications that were done before. So if the
contents in wikibooks was there before that changes they may be there
... or not?

And I am not sure if the times is right/if Ansa reported only a part of
it. It would make sense to write the Vatican and ask ... and of course
refer to the fact that not allowing for the publication (at least on
Internet) they preclude many people from reading the Pope's writings and
that it does not at all help to spread the word, but that it prevents it
from being spread and that basically is against everything written in
the Bible. This means they give more space to whatever "strange"
organisation and will have less possibilities to communicate with people
showing additionally that maybe religion is more about business than
about "credo" ... hmmm ...

Isn't it funny that the Pope is from the city where I come from?

When I contacted the Radio Vaticana for the Cristmas wishes of Giovanni
Paolo II they immediately gave me the OK and sent me the file. Through a
priest who is also member of the Italian discussion group I got
addresses for terminology, but there is that problem that this
terminology is not wanted to be included in the actual Wiktionary since
it does not allow to underline that it is "terminology of the Roman
Catholic Church" we are dealing with and that therefore no changes
should apply. Well WiktionaryZ will help since there we can assure this
and people can edit and add further information as well. An example on
how this works is the GEMET data
(http://epov.org/wd-gemet/index.php/Main_Page) - also that glossary is
an official one that shows which terminology is to be used. And there
are "fixed glossaries and thesauri" that should not be changed
indeliberately, but there we should have proposals for changes and
additions where one can see "that is original data and that are the
changes/additions" and "that is accepted" etc.

So I know the Vatican institutions (besides one of the priests here in
Maiori) as a group of helpful people - we should simply ask them to get
things right.

My 2 cts.

Best, Sabine