[Foundation-l] Logo use

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:08:13 UTC 2006

On the subject of the recent introduction of Wikimedia's visual
identity guidelines [1], I came across several images (one of which I
apparently created myself, though I don't remember doing so) which
contravene these guidelines.  Angela has made a list of these on Meta
[2].  Most of these don't seem to be intrinsically harmful to the
Foundation's copyright or give the impression that the Foundation
endorses any concept or group that it in fact does not.

However, there are some images that do concern me.  There are two
images created by Cool Cat [3] for a group named the "Counter
Vandalism Unit" [4], a group that aims to facilitate and improve
vandal fighting.  The images are logos for the group.  One [5]
incorporates the WMF logo, the other [6] the Wikipedia logo.

Cool Cat was given provisional permission by Anthere to use these
images before the above guidelines were created. [7]

However, the Counter Vandalism Unit does have some opposition within
the community.  I would note that I myself am in disagreement with
much of its structure and attitudes, particularly some comments that
imply that the Unit is the only way in which to fight vandalism.
However, just to avoid any undue comments, I am sending this post not
to request removal but just _reappraisal_ of the situation, which I
see as potentially harmful.

The logos give the impression that the Unit is Foundation-sanctioned.
This idea is encouraged by the proliferation of the Foundation logo
attached to Unit-related matters (most notably the infamous
userboxes).

With this in mind, may I suggest that the provisional permission
granted to Cool Cat be at least reconsidered in light of the new
guidelines.

Happy Wikipedia Day!

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Uses_of_logo_derivatives