[Foundation-l] Request for approval for a wiki for standards

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Jan 8 16:03:34 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
> From you argument, I understand that because something is not to your
> liking, we should not be interested. We should not be interested even
> thought it is the very people who are asking for this wiki, who are
> the ones that are involved into the standards process ?? Yes, there
> are some people who think it makes sense to ask for payment to get a
> copy of a standards document. There are also some people who take the
> complete opposite position. If anything, I would think from your
> arguments that you would support the people who are arguing for more
> open access to standards.
>
> Why you mention Wikimania is beyond me .. then again thinking of
> Wikimania as a conference where standards are set has some appeal :)
>
> Thanks,
>    GerardM

I am trying to support open and free standards.  I'm sorry if language
issues got in the way of that.

Re: Wikimania... having a break-out group that can discuss standards
setting and this project is a really good idea.  I was just trying to
use Wikimania as an example of a conference that can be used for the
setting of standards, as have other conferences that I've attended in
the past for other purposes.  I was also trying to show how sometimes
the cost of the conference is sometimes put into the price of the
standard that results from the conference, and that is something the
Wikistandards proposal is not going to do, at least directly.

--
Robert Scott Horning