[Foundation-l] Advertisement

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 31 23:34:46 UTC 2006

The Cunctator wrote:

>On 12/31/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 31/12/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>

>>>No, I'm fairly certain that the Gates Foundation *doesn't* donate
>>>Windows licenses.  And the fact that I haven't gotten that citation I
>>>requested makes me think David Gerard just made that assertion up.
>>>

>>http://www.counterpunch.org/rajiva10272005.html
>>

>http://www.slis.indiana.edu/news/story.php?story_id=324
>
>Started in 1997, the Library Program was Bill and Melinda Gates' first
>major philanthropic venture. Since that time the program has made
>grants to more than 5,800 libraries in the United States, installed
>more than 25,000 PCs and trained 7,000 librarians. It is anticipated
>that by the end of 2003, 10,000 libraries in 50 states will have
>benefited from the $200 million total investment from the foundation.
>
>This year, it's Indiana's turn to benefit.
>
>The Gates Foundation plans to spend $5.8 million equipping 185 public
>library buildings in Indiana with computer hardware, software, and
>training. Installation and training across Indiana will be scheduled
>over the next year and provided by the six SLIS interns. An additional
>201 buildings--eligible for partial grants--will receive free software
>and training from the Foundation by purchasing their computers.

This makes excellent business sense.  I'm sure that Bill is smart enough
not to fall into some obviously stupid Conflict of Interest trap.  The
Gates Foundation can by whatever it needs at the best available market
rates as a bulk buyer.  When it gives away the software to institutions
the users there become familiar with the software.  That can be a big
influence on their future personal software purchase.

Only a small minority of computer purchasers are techno-geeks.  They
want their computers to work.  If that means Microsoft + AOL they don't
want to look any further.

Ec