[Foundation-l] WikiCode

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Dec 30 18:12:27 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On 12/30/06, Ryan Bilesky <rbilesky at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am proposing a new project called WikiCode, A free source code
>>repository.  I'd appreciate it if you could all look over the project page
>>at
>>
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCode
>>

>There already is such a project at:
>http://en.literateprograms.org/

I will say that there is a need (particularly on Wikibooks, but
elsewhere could be useful) to have a repository of software that would
allow you to archive code snippets that are incompatable with the GFDL.

Of particular note is the huge incompatability with the GPL and the
GFDL, where it would be nice to do commentary (aka annotated texts or
even instructional textbooks) that would bring in GPL code sample that
could be included with a Wikibooks about say C++ programming.  Or to
have as an appendix some software that is available under the GPL.  The
current licensing system on Wikibooks makes this impossible to have both
on the same page and is a copyright violation to GPL examples to
Wikibooks, except under some more obscure fair-use provisions.

At the moment, most Wikibooks authors have a "work around" that places
all code samples on Source Forge, but it is an unsatesfactory solution
in many ways.  Besides the fact that Source Forge doesn't really link in
cleanly with Wikimedia projects (being an external link), you also have
to do the hassle of having to "manually" insert the GPL'd text into the
GFDL'd text if you want a personal copy, and then you can't redistribute
the combined work either.

The other issue is that if a software developer uses Wikibooks for some
tips on creating software, he is "contaminated" with perhaps some
software examples written under the GFDL that can't be used in GPL'd
code.  Or even with software under most other licenses as well except
for the most trivial examples.

I don't know how many Wikibooks are really being held up because of this
issue, but it is something that has been lingering for some time.
 Mixing Wikimedia and non-Wikimedia content may also work, but there are
some further problems that can hold things up.  And certainly not idea.

The real solution would be to have the FSF change the GFDL to be
compatable with the GPL (and the other way too!), but this is the wrong
mailing list to make such a gripe.  Frankly I consider this ought to be
embarassing to the FSF.  I know it has been brought up numerous times in
the various discussion forums of the FSF and is not a new issue.

Another work-around in terms of at least having a common repository for
something like a Wikibook about C++ programming might be at least having
an independent Wikimedia project that has its content available under
licensing terms compatable with the GFDL and GPL (perhaps
dual-licensed?).  This way the content is under the control of the WMF
and shares the same fate in terms of wheither the source code can remain
accessable, which can't be said about either the Literate Programs group
or Source Forge.  While I find it more plausable that the WMF will fold
up and shut down its server farm before Source Forge does, the opposite
sceniero is also just as possible.

In other words, I think there is a practical siter project supporting
role that such a Wikimedia project of software source code examples
could provide and be a valuable addition to the Wikimedia family of
sister projects.  It shouldn't be dismissed completely.

--
Robert Scott Horning