[Foundation-l] Attempt at a compromise (Re: Advertising)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 09:04:09 UTC 2006

Hoi,
For a compromise it is needed that both parties are willing to
compromise. The people that are "threatening to throw their toys out of
the pram" make a lot of noise because they have nowhere else to go. The
people that /do /want to bring organisations into the Open Content/Free
Content world find that because of the bedlam they create the atmosphere
is poisoned and it prevents the inclusion of organisations in projects.
Organisations that have massive amounts of data that they are willing to
make available under an appropriate license.

In the way people have talked about this making available of data, it is
generally considered that these organisations have to hand things over
and then step back. This is however very often not how organisations see
this. When the data is what they have worked on over a long period of
time paying many qualified people to create such a resource, they want
to play a visible role in the further development of this data. This may
mean that they want to concentrate more on the curation of the data. It
may mean that they want to collaborate in a neutral forum and work
together with other organisations, people that work on the same data.

At this moment the Wikimedia Foundation does not consider that
organisations might play such a role and because of the rabid
indignation when anything that even remotely looks like corporate
involvement, it is unlikely that this will change. The point that I am
making is that in the "attempt to compromise" the issue is pictured as
an issue between individual people maybe communities. There is no notion
that the WMF does not fulfil its potential because there is no room to
collaborate with organisations all that is considered is how to get
their valuables.

A compromise has to bring something to both parties in a dispute. As the
issue has not really considered in its entirety I am afraid that the
potential of what the WMF can do, will be the victim of all this.

Thanks,
   GerardM