[Foundation-l] This is not an Advertisement

Teun Spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 18:59:00 UTC 2006

On 12/28/06, Dedalus <dedalus at wikipedia.be> wrote:

> Tomorrow the Virgin Unite will not longer be present as a sitenotice.
> Today
> jeroen and others complained about that sitenotice. In his words the
> community would have been split. The current fundraiser raises today an
> additional several 100k US dollar, so that is gain one. Concerning the
> Dutch
> Wikipedia, today over 250 persons registered a username. So the Dutch
> Wikipedia today gains that many new users and maybe loose temporarily (I
> doubt definitely) one or two well known users.

For both numbers one can doubt if they are permanent. But the one swho have
gone are mainly old hands, experienced contributors who have the core values
of wikipedia at heart.

The new ones will mainly have arrived because of the 250,000 article
milestone, the press release hit the media today. Many of the new
wikipedians will never write even 1 article.

Somebody else mentioned the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It's in the