[Foundation-l] Throwing some data onto the flamefest fire (was: English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities)

Titoxd@Wikimedia titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 23:45:18 UTC 2006

Well, I had already made this suggestion previously, but it was in the
context of renaming users, but I'll make it again, as it can also help out
with this monumental mess:

Why don't we write the "home wiki" of a user in the global login database?

Originally, I had suggested it to be a way to stop a rouge bureaucrat in the
Siberian Wikipedia (just picking one off the top of my head) from renaming
my account in the global database, and by default, from renaming my account
in every Wikimedia project. However, by exposing the home wiki of a user,
perhaps in Special:Contributions and after every diff link (perhaps so it
looks like $user ($wiki) (contribs | block)), an English Wikipedia admin can
see whether the user created his account in the Japanese Wikipedia, and ask
a Japanese-speaking admin to tell us whether the user has an objectionable
username or not.

I hope I don't get flamed for suggesting this, but it's something I just
came up with.

Titoxd.