[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 16:02:25 UTC 2006

David Gerard schreef:
> On 21/12/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When you get ?????? it makes sense to install more fonts. The use of IPA
>> is problematic because it is often done incorrectly and most people have
>> not had training to do IPA correctly. It takes a lot of training to do
>> this correctly. My name for instance is notoriously difficult to
>> pronounce for people who are not Dutch while even a name like "Bob"
>> should be written in many ways when you consider in how many ways it is
>> pronounced.
>>

> Indeed. But we're not going to be able to make it a requirement of
> editing en:wp that users install more fonts on their (arguably broken)
> default-install Windows box.
>

> - d.
Hoi,
You do not have to make it a requirement as it is their option to
upgrade their system with better font support. As there is a reasonable
solution that is open to people, it is unreasonable to expect others to
accommodate them by insisting on having a transliteration, a Latin nick,
having people appear to be a number.
Thanks,
     GerardM