[Foundation-l] For your amusement

Michael Noda michael.noda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 15:30:41 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > As we have rather noisy men and women on the list :) and as gender
> > issues are very much on the agenda, I thought that the following will
> > amuse you.. The point; ideally the ratio between the sexes is 50/50. So
> > let us declare that there are no winners, only participants.
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6206084.stm
> >
> How do we know that's a woman, and not a man wearing a skirt?

The same way we know that the stick figure wearing trousers isn't a
woman wearing trousers: we don't.  For that matter, the stick figure
on the new signs might be a kilted Scotsman with long hair.

But the fact that there was no ill intent in having only
trouser-wearing stick figures, and that it could easily be read as
being equal before, doesn't mean that it's not friendlier and more
inclusive now.  I think we could all learn much from this example.
Thank you for pointing it out.  :-)

-Michael Noda (a non-Scottish man with long hair who has been
photographed wearing trousers, a skirt, or a kilt, at different times)