[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Corum O' Fallamhain corumsmail at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 01:26:23 UTC 2006

It's not that I don't understand where the people who support this
idea are coming from; I do. The fact is, though, that I don't like it.
So a few people (and from what I have seen, it is just a few people)
are being a**holes. That's no reason to start segregating the MLs.
Personally, I don't think heavily moderating the list is practicable,
nor is banning people for sexist comments, since there is no
universally accepted definition of what is and what is not a sexist
comment. Different people have different ideas about gender and gender
issues; and I don't see why that has to be a reason for a new
segregated ML to be established. What may be regarded as unenlightened
attitudes towards women is a societal issue which will inevitably be
reflected in some of the comments on this ML. The answer is neither to
be Nazis about it and start banning people, nor is it the solution for
some women to go hide out in some other ML because they don't like
some people's attitudes. There are a lot of people on this ML from all
kinds of social, political and religious backgrounds, we're not all
going to have the same ideas and attitudes towards everything, and
this will of course inclide gender. If there are problems, we can deal
with them on an individual basis. I can't see that any good will come
out of a segregated ML.