[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 08:50:23 UTC 2006

geni schreef:
> On 12/22/06, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And how much mass vandal robots did you have before discuting and
>> accepting this policy (if it has been ever discussed and accepted ;))
>> ?
>>

> It's in our records for the most part you are free to search through them.
>

>> If you have a bot making mass vandalizing, if the pseudo will be latin
>> or non latin won't make any difference.
>>

> Evidences?
>

>> And by the way for bot generated pseudo it exists a feature ;).
>>

> Um no.
>

>> The
>> probleme here, for my point of view, is totally different. In the five
>> pillars we can read "Wikipedia is free content that anyone may edit"
>> exept vandals of course, and your policy is going against this as you
>> block non latin pseudo before they began editing, even if they would
>> be a good editor.
>>

> If an editor can't cope with useing a latin alphabet username (doesn't
> have to make sense in any lanague know to man mind) then they are
> unlikely to be able to contibute to wikipedia.
This is not the issue. Certainly with SUL there is ONE user for all
projects and the English language Wikipedia seems to be of a mind to
effectively sabotage this by insisting on practices that can be and
should be replaced by new practices that provide a better result. A
1.000+ editor from a Korean, Serbian, Chinese, Inuktitut can be accepted
as a known good. Please show some good faith as this can be easily be
checked.
Thanks,
    GerardM