[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 06:55:33 UTC 2006

Just a thought, but it seems to me that there's a good deal of confusion as
to the purpose of this new group -- is the group intended as a private
retreat, or an outreach group? In the one case, it might be wise to exclude
men to achieve a very particular atmosphere and population of users. In the
latter case, doing so seems a self-defeating step, as it probably deprives
the group of people who might be very active or helpful contributors by
making what seems to me to be an unnecessarily antagonistic opening move.

Personally, I would have liked to listen to and explore these issues, but I
find that my request to even lurk on the mailing list has been rejected.
Makes it hard to be enthusiastic about the group when their first action is
to explicitly exclude 90% or more of the Wikipedia community from even
tangental participation on the sole basis of gender.

I'm trying to avoid any judgemental language, here. I'm just a bit confused;
perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of the group.

-Luna