[Foundation-l] Removal of Cherokee Translators from Wikimedia

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Thu Aug 17 20:08:18 UTC 2006

Amgine schrieb:

> On 17-Aug-06, at 10:42 AM, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
>> Concensus from whom?   a triumverate of three?
>>
>> At any rate, discussion is open on the topic.   If having a Cherokee
>> based community website is so offensive, I'll maintain it off site and
>> the ANA and Federal Government finanacial contributors are welcome to
>> help us with the program.
>
> The promotions and translations subcommittee is an element of the
> Communications Committee. It's open to *individuals* to be involved,
> and they have a discussion list.
>
> Your translators are undoubtedly welcome to be involved in group, as
> people. But websites are not people.
>

> Amgine

Thank you Amgine! I talked with Aphaia yesterday about this. Fact is: if
we allow one website to be there we also have to allow others - we very
much welcome Cherokee translators if they give us a direct contact. Now
that on meta enotif is enabled they could simply create an account and
activate notification and just set up a translator's profile. They will
then get an e-mail if their discussion page is changed.

Imagine what would happen if we allowed for websites to be there - links
like:
http://translatorscafe.com/
http://proz.com
http://gotranslators.com/

would appear sooner or later - and their reasoning would be: "well there
are so many translators who would like to help for free". There of
course we can find translators if we ask them - but it is not the case
to put links to any website into a list of translators only because
there are many translators to be found ... well I could also add my own
translator's portal - there are plenty of people who helped with
Wikimania 2005 - I always kept this apart because my portal has nothing
to do with the foundation. The only thing these translators have is a
tag "Translator for Wikimania 2005" that allows me to find them
immediately if I have to ask someone for help.

Jeff, please don't understand this wrong - we really talked quite some
time about that. It was not "just a decision taken because of some kind
of a strange mood".

Best,

Sabine