[Foundation-l] Speedy deleting images w/o explicit license

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Sep 17 22:38:07 UTC 2005

Dori wrote:
> Jimbo I think it's a terrible idea to delete images w/o explicit
> license information because the default assumed license is the GFDL.
> The uploader may not know that the image needs to be tagged, and we're
> going to lose many images this way.

It is far preferable to drop material of unknown status than to keep it.
It can always be resubmitted if it's genuine.

> We don't require text to have an explicit license, why should we do
> this for images?

As a practical matter, people seem to much more commonly toss away their
brains about images; we get a lot more "I grabbed this off some web
site, so it must be free" with images than with text.

There's some cut-and-paste with text too, but it seems to be rarer (and
also much easier to tell due to formatting). For some reason people have
the idea that they shouldn't _have to_ create original images like they
should with text, or that somehow it's more acceptable to use
copyrighted images without permission than it is to cut and paste
someone's text without attribution or permission.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)