[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:20:08 UTC 2005

On 11/11/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jean-Baptiste Soufron <jbsoufron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > …
> > And this leads to my third and more important point. Accreditating
> > people will transform the Foundation from being a publisher to becoming
> > an editor... which means that we will now be liable for any content
> > written on the website by anyone else.
> >
> > Are you sure that the Foundation is ready to become liable for anything
> > written on Wikinews ?
> >
> > If yes, I think this would be a major change of the Foundation policy.
>
> Let me be clear. The foundation *would not* be accrediting anybody. Period. All
> the foundation would do is give permission for those people who have gone
> through a *community run* and accreditation process to use the Wikinews name
> and logo on press badges.

Errr. How is this different from the Foundation accrediting?

In short, you're saying that this (from meta):
"This accreditation process is overseen by the Wikinews community,
though the **Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation have
overall responsibility for the system**. In order to use the term
"Wikinews" (a trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation) on **press
badges**, approval of the process by the Board must be sought. This is
done by submitting a summary of the Accreditation policy of the
Wikinews edition seeking approval in English to the
board at wikimedia.org address.

The criteria for accreditation will be documented on the relevant
editions on Wikinews. **The Board may at any time revoke the
accreditation of any Wikinews user, or even revoke approval of the
project's accreditation process**."

...does not make the Foundation liable (my **tagging**)?

Delphine
--
~notafish