[Foundation-l] Re: 10, 000 public domain paintings uploaded to Commons

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 22 18:33:46 UTC 2005

Timwi wrote:

> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> Directmedia put the collection itself under the GFDL
>
> What does this mean, considering each individual image is purportedly
> public domain? Is this the "selection is a form of creative expression
> too" problem again?

I wouldn't see it as a problem.  I agree that selection is a form of
creative expression, and also that GFDL does not change the nature of
what is already in the public domain.  There could, nevertheless, be
residual matters in their collection that MAY be still copyright, but
where the status is not clear.  This just helps us to get around such
problems, and would at least provide some support for our actions in any
possible future problems.

Ec