[Foundation-l] Re: [Wiktionary-l] Translations of Wikipedia, Wikimedia and Wiktionary

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 12:44:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:21:32 +0900, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:28:50 +0100, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
> > BTW, there is also an article in Hebrew about Coca-Cola,
> > but no link from en.wikipedia.org.
>
> So articles not wrtten with latin alphabet tend to isolate from
> interlingual link network. This tendency is strong on newly launched
> projects which need more help than larger ones.

There will indeed be an effect in that direction. I myself do
bot-assisted addition of interwiki-links, and to do that I have to
'guess' what the title of a subject in various languages is. Many
subjects (names of people, cities etc.) will be the same among the
various Latin alphabet wikipedias, but not in other languages. Thus, I
will pick up the former much easier than the latter. On the other
hand, if there is one link plus backlink somewhere, a bot can
relatively easily add the rest.

Andre Engels