[Foundation-l] Re: What constitutes a good use of Wikimedia resources?, was New project proposal - Wikibuilder

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 15:19:52 UTC 2005

I do not think there is a wide discussion anywhere, but little bits here
and there might lead you to a certain type of answer.

There is a tendency I think, to restrict what Wikipedia itself could
welcome, and to move to other places what does not belong to a
restricted definition of what an encyclopedia is.

For those who have a restricted definition of what an encyclopedia is, I
see a tendency to wish either new projects, or to suggest that the new
topic be put in wikibooks. It seems wikibooks is more and more becomming
the place to put all what is a bit embarassing to classify.

I wonder if in the future, what we will see is the multiplication of
specialized projects, OR the multiplication of wikibooks to host a
specialized topic, OR somehow a success in putting the specialized
project within Wikipedia itself.

I think this is a key issue for the future, as we see an increasing
number of specialized proposals (such as the wikibuilder or emergency
medicine proposals), or topics being removing from Wikipedia to be
hosted in a wikibook (such as recipes).

Ant