[Foundation-l] New project proposal - Wikibuilder

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 05:38:31 UTC 2005

--- Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not have a standalone "wikilabs" project for new potential
> wikimedia projects?

Because Wikimedia is not a free hosting service for just any wiki idea and
Wikicities already exists to fill that role. Concentrating development energy
into our existing projects and staying on mission are more important than
budding-off new projects to the degree suggested,

As Jimmy said, if any Wikicities project is viable, willing, and would help
advance Wikimedia's goals, then we, as a community, could decide to bring them
into our fold.

> Wikilabs could also be a good
> initial test site for new software patches and upgrades, since
> everything on it will explicitly be in beta.

That is what test.wikipedia.org and any number of other MediaWiki-based sites
that the developers already use.

-- mav