[Foundation-l] Concern with performance issues

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 14 17:29:44 UTC 2005

Andre Engels wrote:

>I'm a bit hesitant about this. If we hire some of the existing
>volunteers, we would partly be paying for what we now get in volunteer
>time. And if we hire people from outside, will not lead that to
>problems with people who do the same thing for free?
>
>If we lose volunteer work for what we get in paid work, the price of
>paid work might well be a lot higher than what it is at first sight.

That will always be a concern with any kind of hiring.  We would
probably do best to contract for a fixed term of three months at a time,
with an option to renew once for another three months.  After that the
person could not be hired again for at least another six months.  One
thing that this would accomplish is that it would avoid having people
become dependent on the Foundation for a regular source of income.

Ec