[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: licensing issues, BSD doc license vs GNU

Edward Peschko esp5 at pge.com
Tue Jan 4 23:32:50 UTC 2005

> >     2) would this prevent said wiki being eventually merged with
> >        mediawiki (under, say wikibooks, or in its own category)?
> >

> > I see that at 'http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html' they
> > list the Free BSD license as 'compatible' with the GPL, but I'm
> > not exactly sure what that means...
> >
> > Ed
>
> Hello Ed,
>
> MW: MediaWiki is the software and is published under GPL.
> WP: WikiPedia is the free encyclopedia project
> WM: WikiMedia is a foundation that host several projects (including
> WikiPedia).

Right.. I understand the distinction between the software's license
and the content's license - but what I was wondering is does
the wikimedia *foundation* have a policy against accepting a
sister project's content with a different license than the Gnu FDL?

I sincerely believe that the FreeBSD is a better fit for my wiki
than the GnuFDL - especially because it can be sublicensed - but hesitate
to do so if it would jeapordize having the wiki accepted as a sister
project..

Anyways, I'm moving this over to foundation-l, now that I look at it,
it seems a better fit there..

Ed