[Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki

Magosányi Árpád mag at bunuel.tii.matav.hu
Mon Jan 3 08:04:09 UTC 2005

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy Daniel Mayer a következőeket írta:
> --- Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Being separate from -- in the sense of having its own policies,
> > community discussion areas, and goals -- does not necessarily require
> > having a separate wiki.
>
> But being different types of reference works does. Wikipedia is an
> encyclopedia, Wikibooks is a collection of textbooks/manuals, Wiktionary is a
> translating dictionary and thesaurus. Each has its own unique way of presenting
> information to the reader (Wikibooks instructs, Wikipedia informs, Wikisource
> regurgitates) and each has very different concepts about what goes onto a page

I cannot see what should be the difference between words in wikipedia and
wiktionary beyond that wiktionary should have links to other words in
other languages, which can easily put into wikipedia in a
non-obstructive manner.

Think about yourself. If you are asked to instruct, you will instruct.
If you are asked for information, you will give it. If you are using a
word, you will be aware a lot of concepts attached to that word:
other ideas, events, pieces of art, quotations, forms of it in another
languages, etc.
Nevertheless you are an integral personality, and not a schizophrene,
and not a maniac.

What we now have is a schizophrene. If I ask it what a "kutya" is in
Hungarian, it tells me it is a "dog" in english. But I cannot really
figure out anything about what a "kutya" or "dog" is, is there
differences in the use of the words, and I would never arrive to
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I cannot even figure out what "dog" is to
an Englishman: I won't even get to the english wiktionary page
for "dog", not even mentioning the wikipedia entry.
("kutya" is the example of how a wiktionary page should look like,
this is why I cite it as an example)

> and linking (very few internal links in Wikibooks and Wikisource, for example).

Our favourite wiki have never taken an art or literature class.
If it did, it would have a lot of asociations on each Wikisource items.
Also, when I have taken high school, our math, physics and chemistry
classes have been built upon each other. If they had been Wiki pages,
there would have been a lot of references.

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból